Apply to be one of our Delivery Drivers!
CHEER is seeking a Food Delivery Driver to deliver food to households who cannot access food and are not able to pick food on their own. Deliveries will be contactless. This service will be an extension of the Long Branch Healthy Food Access Program which addresses food insecurity and promote health in the Long Branch and Takoma Park area. The Healthy Food Access program uses a food as medicine approach to treating people with diabetes who also have uncertain access to healthy food. This is an innovative and expanding program that guarantees weekly distribution of healthy food, such as fruits and vegetables, for 3 months and offers nutrition education and personal support from a community health worker. Participants live in the Silver Spring/Takoma Park area. It also includes occasional food pickups at the Capital Area Food Bank in Northeast DC, and possibly other locations. This position will require an average of 8 hours per week and reports to the CHEER Director of Community Health Programs. Food pickups and distribution are usually flexible. Food delivery will occur on a weekly basis. This is an excellent opportunity to be a key participant in the food security network in the Long Branch/Takoma Park area.
Duties and responsibilities (include, but are not limited to)
• Bag and deliver food as needed to ensure all participants have food available
• Assemble boxes of supplemental items (toiletries, cleaning products, etc.)
• Bag and deliver food purchased at the Farmers market
• Record food distribution data and share this with program director
• Meet bi-weekly with healthy food access program team
• Conduct other tasks as needed
• Good oral and written communicator, will be using phone, text, email, spreadsheets and written documents
• Enjoy working with others and carry a positive attitude
• Highly organized with strong attention to detail
• Patient and flexible
• Bilingual (Spanish) a plus
• Must have or have access to a vehicle to transport food, with GPS capability, and a driver’s license
• Must be able to carry and manage up to 50 pounds
$15 per hour expected average of 8 hours per week. Mileage will be reimbursed. Hours may vary week to week. This position offers no benefits.
To apply, please submit your resume online through our website. Please submit applications by June 12, 2020. If you have additional questions or technical difficulties, please email us at or call (301)589-3633.
The CHEER office will be cleaned on a weekly basis and before the distribution date. CHEER will also supply personal protective equipment and hand sanitizer.
CHEER is an innovative and growing community-based nonprofit serving the Long Branch/ Takoma Park community. Its mission is to provide people with the knowledge and ability to create healthy, thriving communities, especially in the neighborhoods that bear the greatest burden of socio-economic inequity. We act as a facilitator and a catalyst in generating community driven activities to fulfill community defined goals for health, housing, community development, and youth development. CHEER is the convening partner for the Long Branch Healthy Food Access Program, and part of the County-wide Food is Medicine initiative.