Volunteer to be our Fitness Intern! Part-time, approximately 4 hours/week
CHEER is seeking to hire volunteers to serve as our Fitness Interns this fall. This position will require approximately 2-4 hours per week and will last until early December, 2017. This position will provide support to CHEER's Long Branch Healthy Food Access Program (LBHFAP). Through the LBHFAP, individuals with type 2 diabetes receive free food for 12 straight weeks. Clients participate in cooking demonstrations, healthy eating classes and are connected to community resources that promote healthy living. Some participants are not able to engage in fitness activities outside of their home and need additional support to remain active. Fitness interns will provide exercise planning for participants. For more information about the program click here.
This position requires approximately 2-4 hours per week. Intern will report to the Community Health Programs Director.
Duties and responsibilities (include, but are not limited to)
• Conduct home visits to assess needs
• Design a workout program for each assigned participant
• Follow up with participants once a week to offer support and follow up on their progress
• Data entry
• Conduct other assigned tasks as needed
• Must be a student at Washington Adventist University to be eligible. This position was created out of a partnership with the ENACTUS and HOSA programs from Washington Adventist University.
• Candidates considered for this position must be friendly, excited to learn, organized, able to take direction and learn new things, self-motivated, and reliable
• Bilingual (Spanish) a plus, but not required
• Good oral and written communication skills, and customer service
• Moderate level of comfort with technology
No monetary compensation. Individuals in this position will gain valuable experience, sharpen skills, give back to the community, and meet new people.
To apply, please complete the application below and submit your resume. All candidates will be subject to background check. If you have additional questions, please contact Lucia Zegarra at email@example.com or call (301)589-3633.
This position will remain open until filled. The expected start date is early October 2017.
CHEER’s goal is to provide people with the knowledge and ability to create healthy, thriving communities. We strive to create safe and inclusive communities that produce equal opportunities for individual growth and fulfillment. Our efforts are focused on Long Branch and Takoma Park.
CHEER is a nonprofit organization that seeks to build community capacity in Takoma Park and Long Branch. CHEER promotes civic participation by identifying shared community vision and goals, and gathering the information and resources needed to measure and fulfill them. These goals for the Takoma Park Long Branch community include: Economic opportunity for all; Improved health and health care access; Diverse, well connected, and safe neighborhoods; and Youth being prepared for life. CHEER provides opportunity and support for activities that improve the community. More information can be obtained on our website, www.communitycheer.org.